Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Live Music Scene


We've been spending lots of time at the Tuckasegee Tavern playing music with friends, and the occasional game of pool. It's been great. Formerly Across the Trax, the tavern reopened this year under new ownership. The plan is to make music the focus. There are a lot of great musicians in Bryson City and this is a good place to not only hear them, but to get to know them. I have played there and have been well received every time, by the tavern staff and customers.

A nice little impromptu jam with Will and Kim.

This was a practice while the bar was closed. Aj on drums, Will in motion on electric and Kerby joined us using my guitar.....haha.

Takin' a smoke break. This pic shows the new Tavern sign handpainted by the talented, Frank Lee

My favorite place to be, in fromt of the microphone.

Aj having a laugh on the deck.


Me and my sis, who joined me on stage during her visit to NC.


Now that I've shown ya the good stuff, it's time to vent. When did $5 become too much to see good music? I recently worked the door for an amazing band, Big House Radio. I couldn't believe how many people threatened to turn around and go home because there was a cover charge. $5 is less than one mixed drink. You'll pay more than that in gas driving around to find something else to do.  Are there that many people out there who don't like music or don't like paying bands to play for them? This is not just a problem at the Tuckasegee Tavern. My friend Ben Wiggins recently opened an awesome bar in Asheville, NC called Altamont Brewing Company. He has threatened to stop having music on Fridays and Saturdays for the same reason. No one wants to pay a cover and without a cover charge new bars don't have the income to pay what some of these bands are asking. This is disheartening. I needed to get this out there. What's the next step? I want to continue making music for a living. I want venues to keep hiring bands.....

My tip jar is always open. Tip jars are good, it's like a voluntary cover charge. You like what I do? You're having a good time? Put your $ in the bucket.

PLEASE SUPPORT LOCAL ARTISTS!
Live music should not be a dying art!


No comments:

Post a Comment