Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Latest and What's To Come

We've been busy! Lots of art and music going on. The massive paper maché tree we've been working on is nearly ready for installation in Humanité (more about that after it's in place). Now it's time to make room for music/recording equipment and painting supplies.

I've been working on several projects and have had some great opportunities this year. Here are some pictures from some of the more memorable experiences and some information about upcoming events.........


Me and Kim playing at the Tuckasegee Tavern March 25, 2011. What an amazing guitar player! Can't wait to have another opportunity to share the stage with him!

My sister, Stephanie Nemyer, joined me on stage for a few songs on the same night. Thanks, Jeff Helpman, for the photos!

This was my second show at the Tuckasegee Tavern since they opened under new ownership. My next scheduled show there will be Friday, May 27, 2011. This is Memorial Day Weekend so we hope to have quite the turnout!

*************************

On Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend, Aj and I along with Gene Albritton of Studio Earth will be at the 2011 Village Square Art & Craft Show in Highlands, NC. We will have a booth set up on both days from 10am-5pm. We will be selling our paintings in frames built by Gene and Aj. On Sunday, I will be playing a two hour set starting at noon. We are really looking forward to taking to the road with our art!

A small taste of what we will have for sell.




***********************

 I will be playing Friday, April 15 at the newly opened City Lights Café in Sylva, NC. This will be the beginning of their grand opening weekend. Music starts at 7pm. City Lights Bookstore has always been one of my favorite places, so I am excited to be a part of something that can only make it a better place to be!


**********************

Last Sunday at The Grove Church I had the awesome opportunity to illustrate the beginning of the Easter Story Series. I painted during the sermon and the last few worship songs. Every Sunday is great at The Grove, but any day I get to use and share one of God's gifts to me, is an awesome day!

Painting during worship. Thanks again, Jeff for the photo.

The next three Sundays at The Grove Church will feature artists painting during the service. Ending on Easter Sunday with dirt painter Gene Albritton. I am so happy to be a part of a church with such great talent! It's good for my soul on so many different levels.

******************

Recently, I have been given a chance to be a part of the band Avelina. I get practice as a mandolin and banjo player in this setting. The band is made up of members of The Grove Church's worship band, however we are a touring band that goes out to play our favorite tunes and get to know our neighbors and the needs of our community. Our first show will be at WCU for the Alpha Xi Delta's Second Annual Autism Walk. Come show your support for the cause and the band. The cost is $10. Hope to see you there.

Randall Nichols and Becca Millsaps of Avelina. Photo by Todd Sessoms.

***********************

Being involved with The Grove Church has also given me some great volunteer opportunities. Just this past Tuesday, I participated in One Day Without Shoes. Another great community event put on by the group LoveBryson. We kicked off our shoes and led barefooted walks around Bryson City to bring awareness to the fact that many people are without basic needs, like shoes. We raised money for the cause and took in donations of slightly used shoes for those in need in our area. We ended up with 101 pairs of shoes! We also gave out free hot dogs and got to know our neighbors.You can learn more about what we were up to at TOMS.com.

Me and Mazzie show off our feet and our support! Photo by Ben King.  

The shirt I made at the event!

**************************

The community garden at The Grove is underway again this year! Aj and I have headed this up for three years now. Every year gets better. Feeding ourselves and our community, how satisfying! For more information check out The Grove Community Garden on Facebook. We have a group work day every Thursday if you want to help!


********************

That's what we've been up to and where we are headed. I am sure that I left out some important projects. Like I said, we've been quite busy. Please make sure you check out all the links, this post is full of them. Thanks to everyone who has helped me along this starving artist road. I love you all! I love this great community of artisans that I have found myself in.




 until next time.............liz nance


No comments:

Post a Comment